Dr. Amy Stark
Child Psychologist, Author & Speaker
Teaching Families How to Live Divorced
and Self-Esteem for Girls and Boys
Food For Thought
5 Easy Ways to Start a Summer Learning Plan
Did you know kids lose nearly three months of knowledge over summer vacation? This is why parents need a summer learning plan.
Parents need to insist that kids become a part of the plan, with incentives, and their involvement as well. These 5 easy ways may help your children start school remembering last year instead of being behind the learning curve:
· Ask them to read a book every two weeks
· Review a math page one time a week
· Ask them to figure out costs at the grocery store or restaurant
· For older kids, show them how to balance a check book
· As a family, read a chapter book aloud several nights a week, promoting comprehension and giving you something to discuss besides video-gaming.
Make this a summer with ways to apply what your children have learned the previous year in school.
Dr. Stark's Web site is not intended to take the place of a court-ordered advice or the advice of another professional. Although you may use the input found here to your best advantage, we recommend that you do so in conjunction with the work that you are doing with your individual therapist. Remember: this Web site is not therapy; it's knowledge and support.
Psychologist License PSY7828, California213 E City Place Drive
Santa Ana, CA 92705